In this post, we discuss the pros and cons of bamboo flooring in your home.
If you are deciding what type of flooring to use for your home and are considering bamboo, then you will want to know the pros and cons of bamboo flooring.
About Bamboo Flooring
Although bamboo flooring is usually classified as a hardwood flooring type, bamboo is actually a grass, not a hardwood tree.
Bamboo flooring is an engineered material, meaning that bamboo strands are sliced and shredded and then pressed back together with heat, glues, and polymers to form floorboards.
Related post: Engineered Hardwood Flooring vs Solid Hardwood Flooring
It is engineered in three ways: strand woven, horizontal, and vertical. Horizontal bamboo shows the “knuckles” in the grain pattern which people usually associate with bamboo flooring. Vertical bamboo has a uniform, striped look. Strand woven bamboo flooring mixes the grass fibers together so that they’re interlocked, making it the hardest and also the most expensive type of bamboo.
It is a relatively affordable hardwood material compared to many other hardwood flooring types, costing on average between $2.00 – $8.00 per square foot.
Bamboo generally falls between 1,200 to 1,400 on the Janka Hardness Scale, making it harder than oak and ash flooring.
Bamboo Flooring Pros and Cons
- High-quality bamboo flooring is as durable as traditional hardwood flooring
- Bamboo flooring has a clean, contemporary look
- Cleans easily with a mop and mild soap
- Bamboo can be refinished, dependant on the thickness of the planks
- Some types of bamboo flooring are DIY-friendly
- Renewable resource and considered environmentally friendly
- Some nexpensive bamboo types are susceptible to scratches
- It easily absorbs water and is susceptible to water damage and humidity
- Bamboo doesn’t fit with some styles of decor
- The coloring is limited to only a few shades
- Some bamboo has adhesives which can release unhealthy VOC’s over time
- There is not an independent system that is used to rate the quality of bamboo materials
For backsplash and decorating call: Zaneta – (630) 918-9176
For flooring and bathrooms call: Art – (630) 677-1371